Sunday, September 27, 2009

Saturday Night Challenge - Sunday Morning

Here's Randy Seaver's latest Saturday Night Challenge:

It's Saturday Night - time for some Genealogy, and Family History, Fun!

Here is your assignment for the evening - if you wish to participate in the Fun (cue the Mission Impossible music):

1. What is your all-time favorite song? Yep, number 1. It's hard to choose sometimes. If you made your favorite all-time Top 40 music selections, what would be #1?

2. Tell us about it. Why is it a favorite? Do you have special memories attached to this song?

3. Write your own blog post about it, or make a comment on this post or on the Facebook entry.


With that in mind, I sat down to contemplate what would be my absolute number one song of all time. Hmmm.

What is that song that comes to mind before any other? The first one that comes out when I'm singing around the house?

While it may not be the most popular of choices, my number one song of all time is actually a hymn. It was written between 1760 and 1770, and is by John Newton.

Have you guessed it?

My number one favorite song of all time is the hymn, "Amazing Grace".

Why is it my favorite song?

None other has ever put into words how I feel about what my Lord has done for me. Taking me from a sinner lost, with a soul damned for eternal hell, and washed me clean with His blood and grace, that I might have eternal life.

"Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me,
I once was lost, but now am found, was blind but now I see."

Such simplicity of text, but such truth!

"Twas grace that taught my heart to fear, and grace my fears relieved,
How precious did that grace appear, the hour I first believed."

"When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise, than when we first begun."

Yep, that's the song that sets my heart to soaring! Makes my face glow! Makes tingles run up and down my spine! Makes me happy!!!

My second favorite?

Rascal Flatt's "God Bless The Broken Road". It's the story of my dear hubby and I. We both went through so much in our past, with previous relationships and just the stuff of life in general. But it was all God's way of guiding us down a road that led us to each other.



"Bless The Broken Road"

I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

[Chorus:]
Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

[Chorus]

Now I'm just rolling home
Into my lover's arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you.

No comments: