Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Advent Calendar - December 22 - Christmas and Deceased Relatives



Did your family visit the cemetery at Christmas? How did your family honor deceased members at Christmas?
Actually, no. My family did not visit the cemetery at Christmas. And I cannot ever recall doing anything to honor one or all deceased family members at Christmas time.

However, after being given this blogging prompt, I believe that beginning next year I am going to change that. I think it’s high time we did do something to honor our deceased at this time of year!

We make a yearly trip to cemetery on Memorial Weekend, at which time we clean tombstones, place a wreath of flowers, and take a few snapshots, then exit. Just to return a year later. I’d like to bring a little Christmas to the memory of our relatives. I’ve seen some lovely silk poinsettias that I think will make a nice little something to take to set on their graves as a memorial. [Way to cold in the mountains here for live plants!]

But, whether we go to the cemetery or not, I believe we should make a concentrated effort to remember those we have loved, and lost, during this season.

So, Merry Christmas my dear family, until we spend Christmas together once more!

No comments: