Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Sports Teams

Randy Seaver over at GeneaMusings issued another fine challenge for this Saturday evening:

"It's Saturday Night -- time for more Genealogy Fun for readers of Genea-Musings.

I almost did a 9/11 SNGF theme but realized that that isn't fun, it's real life.

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:
1) Recall your favorite sports heroes and teams of your childhood, and how you supported them.
2) Tell us about them in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a comment on Facebook."

Okay, so Randy... for some of us this is an impossible challenge! Some of us weren't sports fans of any kind growing up!!!

Although I gotta tell you... Joe Namath almost won me over when he wore the pantyhose!!! [Remember Beauty Mist???]



I simply was never the sports fan. However, if there was one sports idol I looked up to, It would have had to have been Billy Jean King. I was simply for any woman, at the time, who could prove she was as good as a man! LOL [Remember when that was so all-fired important to prove??? Bra burnings, and protests?] We've come a long way baby!!!

Billy Jean King - Wimbledon 1980


Billy Jean King - Mandela Day - 2009

So how did I support her?

Uh... well, she's the whole reason I decided to pick up a tennis racket. Loved the game for many years, then moved where there wasn't a court for hundreds of miles, and haven't played in more than 30 years now! [Still no courts here!]

However, I didn't miss a chance to belt out at the top of my lungs while driving in my car...
"I Am Woman" - [the Helen Reddy version]
I am woman, hear me roar

In numbers too big to ignore
And I know too much to go back an' pretend
'Cause I've heard it all before
And I've been down there on the floor
No one's ever gonna keep me down again

Oh yes, I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to
I can do anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

You can bend but never break me
'Cause it only serves to make me
More determined to achieve my final goal
And I come back even stronger
Not a novice any longer
'Cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul

Oh, yes, I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to
I can face anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

I am woman watch me grow
See me standing toe to toe
As I spread my lovin' arms across the land
But I'm still an embryo
With a long, long way to go
Until I make my brother understand

Oh, yes, I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to
I can face anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

Oh, I am woman
I am invincible
I am strong

I am woman
I am invincible
I am strong
I am woman

I'd say that pretty much gives my support to her and every woman who attempted to make it easier on the younger generations who were still to come!

I'd say we all made a difference! Smoldering bras and all!!!

No comments: