Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sentimental Sunday - My Uncle Emmette

Growing up Uncle Emmette and his wife, Aunt Betty, came to visit occasionally. Not often, but on occasion.

Uncle Emmette was Dad's older brother. He was so unlike my Dad, but I knew that Dad had a great deal of respect for him and Aunt Betty. As an older brother, Uncle Emmette tried to help my grandparents raise Dad and get him started out in life on the right foot. Both Grandpa and Grandpa were up in years when Dad was born [Grandma was 40 and Grandpa was 71.] They must've done something right, 'cause my Dad's a pretty special fellow!

Emmette Lorimer Beane was born 12 July 1910 in West Virginia.


This is a one year old Uncle Emmette!

He married Elizabeth [aka: Betty] Miller in 1940. Unfortunately they could not have children.

I can still remember the last time I saw Uncle Emmette. It was just a year before he died. How I wish I had taken the time to sit down and really talk with him and Aunt Betty.

All too soon Uncle Emmette was gone.Cancer had wasted his body, and we all know the duress that puts someone under, as well as their family.

When he got the call, it was one of the very few times in my life I saw my Dad cry. 


Not the clearest, but here is a phot of Uncle Emmette taken in August 1984.

Emmette Lorimer Beane died 20 May 1988.

We miss him still.

No comments: