Friday, May 4, 2012

Family Recipe Friday - Granny's Dump Cobbler


My Granny Dreher was an outstanding cook! Born in a French family and married into a German family, you just knew there was always something excellent cooking on her stove!

When Granny moved to West Virginia from Indiana, to be near my Mom [her daughter], I decided to get all of the knowledge I could possibly pull from her little noggin about cooking.

Unfortunately, I could write down the recipes, even help her make them, but I simply don’t have the knack to recreate them to what I know she made them taste like way back when! Surely she sprinkled some fairy dust, angel kisses, or some other kind of magical potion that I don’t know about, to get her recipes to come out so perfectly!

One day I complained to her that I couldn’t get a pie to taste like hers. That was when she told me about a fail-proof cobbler I could make. She called it the Dump Cobbler.

And she was right! [As a matter of fact, I’ve got one in the oven as I write this, and my mouth is absolutely watering!]

Here’s the Dump Cobbler:

1 stick butter
1 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
Pinch of salt [abt. ¼ teaspoon]
1 tsp. baking powder
¾ cup milk
1 can of fruit [or you can use two if you like] in light syrup [I use frozen berries as well!]

Put the butter into an oven proof pan [I use a 9 x 12-inch cake pan] and melt the butter in the oven. Mix the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder with the milk to make a thin batter. Put this into the pan of melted butter, and then pour in the fruit. Bake for 30-35 minutes in a 350 degree to 400 degree oven. [I find if I bake it at 350-degrees that I need to let it bake about 8 minutes longer.]

Serve warm. You can top with vanilla ice cream if you like. Or eat it plain!

Believe me, you can’t fail with this one. And it’s one recipe… comes out tasting like Granny’s every single time. Num, num, num!

No comments: