Friday, May 18, 2012

Family Recipe Friday -Sissy's Cream Cheese Pound Cake


Sissy's Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Every year, in and out, at every family gathering, I am asked to provide this rich, decadent pound cake. It is a recipe that my family has been sharing for more than 30 years. While it hasn’t been passed down to “generations”, it is one that will be I am sure!

Years ago, my younger sister gave me this recipe, which is why I call it “Sissy’s” Cream Cheese Pound Cake.

It’s simple and easy to make. And everyone loves it’s rich goodness! But I warn you…. It’s addictive!

Ingredients:
3 – cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1-1/2 c. unsalted butter [or 3 sticks… do not use margarine!]
8-oz. cream cheese [I have substituted plain Greek yogurt for this, and the taste is identical in the end!]
3 c. fine sugar
6 eggs
1-Tbsp. vanilla extract [use the real stuff!]

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350-degrees farenheit. Make sure rack is in the center of the oven.

Prepare a bundt or tube cake pan by greasing and flouring.

Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.

Make sure butter and cream cheese are room temperature. Cream together butter, cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Gradually add dry ingredients, by folding in. [Do not attempt to use electric mixer! This will be extremely thick!]

Spoon mixture into pan.

Bake for 1-hour and 15-minutes. Allow cake to cool in pan for 20 minutes before removing.

This can be eaten plain, or you can make a drizzle of 1-cup confectioner’s sugar and 2-tablespoons lemon juice.

No comments: