Thursday, July 19, 2012

Treasure Chest Thursday - Adeline's Hutch

Many years ago, way back in 1867, a baby girl was born to two French immigrants to Indiana. They named her Adeline Josephine Eve.

When she was married, in 1893, her mother gave her the china hutch that her father had made for as her wedding gift. It was made sometime before 1858.

Adeline loved this cabinet. But it's true love came when she passed the cabinet down to her daughter, Irene. Later, Irene passed it to her daughter, Lois. And for a while, I had it. [When I had to move cross country, I gave it back to Lois, my mother, for safekeeping.]

Today it sits in my Mom's dining room.


The doors are hand carved, and although they are almost identical, they are not perfectly so.


It is a beautiful old family piece that was loved when first constructed, and whose owners consider it more a treasure with each passing generation.

Adeline died on 5 Nov 1958 in Floyd County, Indiana. She was my great-grandmother.

No comments: