Friday, August 10, 2012

Famil Recipe Friday - Sissy's Mashed Tater Salad

While I was living in Germany, an American friend attended a party at our house, and she had provided the potato salad for the event.

This was my introduction to “Mashed Potato Salad”. I was raised with a more German or traditional American potato salad, which is quite chunky to say the least! So this was unusual, both for me, and the other Americans at our party. However, I did find it an enjoyable change of pace from the norm and expected, so on occasion I have been known to make this “mashed” version.
As my children were growing up, on each of their birthdays I allowed them to decide what they would like for a birthday dinner. My youngest, Crystal, as a child and teen, always requested the “Mashed Potato Salad”, and the name slowly changed about to “Sissy’s Mashed Tater Salad”, in honor of her.
It’s been a few years since she requested it, but I think I may have to make some. Just for “old time" sake!


Sissy's Mashed Tater Salad

Ingredients:
2-pounds potatoes of choice
1/2 cup whole milk
chopped bread and butter sweet pickles
2 eggs - chopped
4- tablespoons mayonnaise
1-1/2 teaspoons - mustard
1/2-teaspoon sugar
salt to taste
paprika

Directions:
Boil potatoes in salted water until fork tender. Drain. In a large bowl, mash potatoes with the milk, until creamy texture.
Add pickles and eggs and mix well.
In a separate bowl, mix mayonnaise, mustard, sugar and salt to taste.
Pour this mixture over the potatoes and mix well.
Sprinkle paprika over all.
Chill at least 2 hours before serving.

You can mold this salad in a gelatin mold for a presentation if desired.

No comments: