Friday, January 6, 2017

Family Recipe Friday - Cranberry Salad

In the past week we celebrated the New Year. And one of my favorite family recipes is my grandmother Dreher's cranberry salad.

Of course cranberries are the main ingredients. And grandmother's recipe called specifically for Ocean Spray brand cranberries. (The above photo is taken from their website.)

The recipe calls for strawberry Jello,  a can of pineapple tid bits drained, a Granny Smith apple, and walnuts.

Grandmother, and everyone else in my family who makes the salad, processes the cranberries, pineapple, peeled and cored apple and walnuts in a blender or food processor to a combination of very small pieces. The Jello is made according to package directions, and set in the refrigerator. After it begins to gel, the fruit and walnut combination is spooned into the  Jello and allowed to finish setting.

Me, on the other hand, am always doing things different. Especially if I can cut corners!

I cut the cranberries into halves (yes, it takes a while and you are left chasing cranberries if you don't take precautions, as they skitter away from you!). I cut the pineapple bits into half as well. The apple is chopped. And the walnuts are left halved. I also sometimes add canned and drained mandarin oranges, or coconut. I use 4 regular sized packages of cherry Jello, simply because I love the flavor.  I mix the Jello with 2 cups of boiling water and make sure the powder is completely dissolved. I then add two cups of ice so that it begins to set up faster. As it begins to gel, I add the fruit and walnuts.

The difference?

This is what Grandmother's cranberry salad looks like. It is quite delicious. And you certainly can use chewing as an alternative you like! Safe for the denture wearers at the meal.

And then there is mine....

This is crisp, chewy, and your dentures had better be in with good adhesive for this bad boy salad! The condensed Jello gives it a thicker consistency that holds everything together. It can be placed in a mold when preparing it, and you can safely unmold it without losing any contents, or fear of it falling apart.

Either way it is delicious. And both ways are delicious if you add whipped topping to each serving.

Of course, my family (siblings, etc.) think I'm crazy for this. It simply points out the lazy streak that runs right through me! But then, sometimes, cutting corners, or being lazy, is half the fun. Or in this case, half the flavor!

Bon apetit!

No comments: