Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Wedding Wednesday - Everything Old is New Again


Wedding Wednesday

Everything Old Is New Again

"From this day forward
our thoughts and actions
will be for each other...
our plans mutual, our joys
and sorrows shared...
as we become
one in Christ."

Isn't that a lovely wedding program cover? I recently attended a wedding where this program was used. A beautiful calla lily on the front, with this loving sentiment.

This was a wedding no one thought would happen.

Let me back up a bit, and give you a little history.

My brother-in-law comes from a large family. He is one of the babies of the family (plural, because he has a twin brother.) Among his sisters, is Rachel. She is 15 years older than my brother-in-law. She never had children. And in 1993, she lost her husband, Eddie, to cancer. He was 52 at the time.

Fast forward to 2015 (22 years later), my Mom passed away, and just 2 weeks after her death, her childhood best friend, married to my Mom's brother, passed away. Aunt Phyllis was just a few days short of turning 78. Leaving my Uncle Bill a widower.

In the winter of 2015/2016 my Uncle Bill moved from his home state of Indiana, to live near my sister and my Dad. He felt more at home here. My sister provided him with private quarters on her property, and he always was a few short feet away from family if needed.

Late in the year 2016, my brother-in-law got the idea of introducing his sister, Rachel, to my uncle Bill. The thought was that the two might find some companionship with one another: someone to go out for coffee with, or to a movie. But there were sparks, and within a matter of weeks the two were engaged! And on Saturday, May 20th, the happy couple were wed. (I'm hoping for some copies of the nuptials soon.)

Left side:
Wedding of Rachel Lafon and Billy Dreher
May 20, 2017  at 2:00 p.m.
Bethel Pentecostal Holiness Church, Organ Cave, WV
Officiated by Rev. G. Wesley Comer, Pastor
P
H
O
T
O
Matron of Honor - Wanda Ford, sister of bride
Best Man - Walter Beane, brother-in-law of groom
Ushering and Giving of Bride - Ronald Dunbar, brother of bride


Right side:
Song - He Touched Me (Bill's favorite)
Entrance of Matron of Honor and Bride
Prayer
Lighting of candles in memory of Phyllis and Eddie,
who were a part of our lives and will always be
part of who we are.
(Song: When Our Eyes Meet Again - Gloryland Quartet)
Charge and Giving of Bride
Declaration of Intent
Scripture - Colossians 2:2
Lighting of Unity Candle (Song: The Wedding Prayer)
Vow and Ring Ceremony
Pronouncement
Prayer
Presentation and Recessional
Song: I Know Whom I Have Believed (one of Rachel's favorites)


The honeymoon is over, and the happy couple have settled down in the home where Rachel lived alone for so long. And they seem such a happy pair!

We wish you both all of the best, and may happiness and love be with you forever more.

(By the way, the Matron of Honor is a widow, and the Best Man (my Dad) is a widower, hmmmm, wonder if we could play a little matchmaking here?)

No comments: