Saturday, July 8, 2017

Sympathy Saturday - Those Memorial Bookmarks

I have a very special collection. It's one I don't get out and look at very often. And thankfully, it isn't a large collection.

It's those Memorial/Obituary bookmarks that the funeral home provides for you when a loved one has passed away. Sometimes the newspaper will even notify you that they can make them for you, as well. And I suppose that's a regional type of tradition. Maybe it's something you've never even heard of before.

They are quite simple. Just a copy of the loved one's obituary, as printed in the local newspaper, laminated. The reverse side usually has a copy of the 23rd Psalm.

There's one that I have, that I haven't been able to add to the small collection I have, yet. I keep it my Bible. And I look at it almost every day. It has a photograph of a woman I knew for over 50 years. She was there for me through almost every trial I ever went through. She wiped away more tears than anyone else. She held my hand. And she didn't mind telling you she kicked my backside a few times as well!

Yes, you guessed it. It's my Mom's memorial bookmark.
She was stunning to look at! And yes, she was in the WACs. (Women's Army Corps.)


The reverse side of the book mark.

Do you have any of these? If so, here you have a viable record of the person's life! In this one, you learn her full name, date and place of birth. Date of death and burial, and where she is buried. Along with her parents names, siblings names, children and grandchildren's names. And her military service, as well as previous occupation and education.

So, when you come across a small collection of these, hang onto them. They can be invaluable to your research! A lot of people keep them in their large Family Bible, so you can start looking for them there. Some bundle them up with sympathy cards, and put them away in a box. Wherever you find them, hang onto them.

If you've found this post helpful, let us know!

No comments: