Saturday, August 19, 2017

How to Organize Your Research - Or Scintillating Saturday

How to Organize Your Research 
Or 
Scintillating Saturday

Okay, it's no big secret, but my new favorite way to keep track of ANYTHING is by using a Bullet Journal.

What, may you ask, is a Bullet Journal?

According to Google.com the definition for Bullet Journal is "The Bullet Journal is a customizable and forgiving organization system. It can be your to-do list, sketchbook, notebook, and diary, but most likely, it will be all of the above."

Yep, that about sums it up. It's a place where you can keep track of EVERYTHING . My personal Bullet Journal contains everything from my To-Do list, to my Client Appointments, to my Hydration Tracker, to my menu and shopping list. I even keep my checkbook register in it!

But the really neat thing, is that you can use it to keep track of ANYTHING, and that's where it comes in handy with genealogy research. Because my Bullet Journal  keeps me on track with my latest research projects as well. 

I break my new, blank, journal down into several sections. Some are just a few pages long. Some are a couple of hundred pages long (yeah, my latest journal, which I am in love with, holds over 600 pages!~ I'll fill you in on where to get one like it at the end of this post.) By breaking my journal down into sections, I can easily locate whatever list I am wanting to see at a moments notice.

The one thing that you will see, should you decide to use a Bullet Journal, is that it is an ever evolving process. Until you find what actually works best for you. Mine is still evolving, but I'm getting close to what is perfect for me!

I have seen journals that use tabs, yes, just like those you used to divide your school notebook with, or use to divide files with. I found those to be too bothersome, and they stuck out, causing me to always catch them on something in my handbag. (Yes, I carry my journal EVERYWHERE with me!) So, I found an example of one that color coded pages, using colored pencils to marks each page.
 from Pinterest.com
You will note that each section is has a different color. You will then take and mark each page with a small square of that color, directly below the key page here. So that when viewed from the side as you thumb through the pages, you will easily locate the pages that match that color. As an alternative, I have seen some that use Post It Sticky Tabs. My problem with those is that they tend to come loose eventually, and have to be replaced frequently if your journal is a large one that lasts awhile.

On my genealogy list I keep two lists: Working On, and To-Do. My Working On list contains the names of ancestors I am working on, so that should I come across some bit of information, I will readily know that this is someone I should jot down the information on. (Of course, under this section I leave extra pages in case I find this new information while I am out and about!) On my To-Do list are things that I am constantly doing: such as writing my family newsletter; sending out emails with announcements; writing this blog; etc. These are things that I am always working on.

As I said, I keep my journal with me at all times. You don't have to. It can be something that you use only when you are at home, or at your desk. I use mne more as a life organizer. It helps keep me focused, and I find I get more work done when I have a list to check off, thus the great thing about the Bullet Journal. As I complete each task, I simply check off the box, and I know it is complete.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I also use mine for my Bible Study, and for my personal diary. Just some food for thought!

Now, can you imagine what it would mean to you to come across such a thing from one of your ancestors as a Bullet Journal? (First of all, I'd think they were a pretty organized person! LOL) But the greatest thing of all, is the intimate look you would have of your ancestor's daily life! Not just their To-Do list, but their diary, their budget, their diet, their thoughts on philosophy and religion, and on and on.

When I keep this journal, I am able to locate my latest research at a simple glance. And i carry it with me everywhere I go, so no matter where I am at, I can reference it. Yes, it is a low tech work tool. And I know I could do the same thing with my tablet, or even my iPhone! But I also doodle, and draw pictures in it. I add photographs. And ticket stubs. Receipts. Funeral programs. Wedding invitations. Newspaper clippings. These are things that when kept separate, just don't make a lot of sense later down the line. But when placed in my journal, will coincide with that day's notations. Not only will I know what the item was from, so will anyone who may years from now look at it.

So, maybe you'd like to give it a shot?

Here's my latest journal:

 I love it because it's 5"x8", and has LOTS of pages! It is leather, so it will be around for a LONG time to come. The pages are gilt edged, so they really look nice. And there are two ribbon bookmarks, which make it alot easier to get to those well used pages, like my regular To-Do lists. The pages are unlined, so I am free to draw and doodle around my entries as much as I want without lines getting in the way. And the pages don't bleed when I use colored markers or fountain pens. (I have a passion for fine writing instruments, and fountain pens are a lost art tool these days!) This is available for $11.99 on Amazon.com.

In the past, I have used leatherette journals from Walmart, which are at a comparable cost. I have used soft cover art journals. Again, at a comparable cost. And I have even used....
...a composition notebook on more than several occasions. These are excellent for when you are on a tight budget. I have purchased these by the case. Right now you'll find them on sale at most local Walmart's, Sam's Clubs, and Costco's for only 50-cents each. Yes, 50-cents. These are a little larger than I normally like, but if you aren't sure if you would use a Bullet Journal and want something to try out, this is the way to get started!

Take a look on Pinterest.com for Bullet Journal ideas. And you'll even find some free templates if you want to print out some journals instead of trying to come up with your own.

This is what keeps my whole world organized. Not just my day-to-day life, but my business, my research, my job, everything. EVERYTHING

Who, knows, if you give it a try, it just might work for you as well!

Let me know what you think!


 

No comments: